Monday, May 1, 2017

Signs of Spring part 2



the mudflats at Stehekin - the river channels' sculpting is unique every year
Many who visit Stehekin in the summer have no idea the changes that take place as the days grow shorter in the fall of the year. I remember when I first heard of the mudflats, and the disbelief I felt. "A mile of the upper lake turns into a mudflat?" It didn't seem possible. It sounded ugly after traveling back and forth along the breathtakingly lovely road, from the boat dock to the river valley.

In the years since my first exposure to the mudflats I have experienced many happy memories there. When the valley is full of winter's snow, the mudflats allow a place to sit in the sun, kick off our winter boots, hunt for things left behind by the receding lake, watch the swans navigating the river channls, fly kites, play soccer, golf, have archery competitions, ski on the open flats at night under a full moon, have a bonfire and look at the stars. The actual list is endless. 

I have to admit a fondness for the mudflats. I remember my young nephew exclaiming one dark Autumn day, "The mudflats are coming up!" And I recall the joy of that. 
the spring winds can create a dust storm that carries the gritty dust to landing and beyond
"Oh no! There's a dragon coming at us!"

Dragon over the mudflats


Please visit: StehekinHeritage.com

No comments:

Post a Comment